Friday 11 December 2015

Letter to Santa

Dear Santa
I’ve been a very good girl this year and I'm hoping you will bring me some special books for Christmas.

Top of my wish list, I’d love to find Gino D’Acampo in my Christmas stocking, but would be happy to settle for his new cookbook, “Gino’s Islands in the Sun”. The gorgeous photographs of Sardinia and Sicily and the wonderful Mediterranean recipes will certainly warm up the long, dark, cold winter days. 

Next is Waterstones book of the year “The Fox and the Star” by award-winning designer, Coralie Bickford-Smith. Ostensibly a children’s picture book, the graphic illustrations are so beautiful that it will appeal to all ages, it certainly appeals to me.

Finally, for a fun Christmas read I’d like Chrissie Manby’s “A Wedding at Christmas” as it promises “mince pies and mayhem guaranteed”. What better way to spend Boxing Day than cwtched up with a box of chocolates, a glass of red wine and some chick lit, Heaven!

I did a straw poll among my colleagues and this is what they are hoping for and why:

Mark wants "The Ice Twins" by S K Tremayne.
Identical twins, a terrible accident, one dies but which one?


He says "This doesn’t look like the kind of book I would normally read but the blurb and reviews have me intrigued. Hopefully it will be as atmospheric, creepy and menacing as it sounds. The idea of a Gothic read at Christmas is quite appealing."

Bettina is hoping for Dale Pinnock's "The Medicinal Chef: eat your way to better health" for the wonderful recipes, like sesame soy salmon and vegetables with coconut rice.

Carla is asking Santa for: 

J K Rowling – "Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone", the illustrated version because it’s gorgeous and a great way to introduce younger readers to Harry Potter.

Robin Benway – "Emmy and Oliver". I borrowed this from the library and it was so good I’m asking for my own copy. 


Brandon Sanderson – "Elantris". Sanderson’s fantasy books are incredible and this one is next on my reading list.

I hope Santa’s been doing some weight training because Sophie’s heavyweight list runs to 7 books. Here are her top three:
Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw – "Why does E=mc2?" 
Two brilliant minds working together make an incredible book.

Stephen Hawking – "A Brief History of Time"It’s one of a kind.

Rachel Khoo – "The Little Paris Kitchen: classic French recipes with a fresh and simple approach".
Just because I love French food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you.
Please leave comments below.